DRM ?

General discussions about the release versions of Capitalism Lab
Hyronymus
Level 3 user

Re: DRM ?

Post by Hyronymus »

mwyeoh wrote:Well its a pity you feel that way.
It is your decision if you no longer want to play CapLab
I agree, his reply sounds like a poor attempt of blackmailing Enlight to change their policy.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mwyeoh wrote:When you say "Cop a backlash", often its the same people going from forum to forum or thread to thread posting the same thing over and over and over and over again.
Often they are a small number of people too.

Recent examples are Apple- Antennagate and Microsoft- Windows 8... they have been blown WAY out of proportion and often, when people actually use the programs/goods, its not as bad as they think.
With a game like Diablo III, known for its cheaters, dupers and rampant trainer programs, ofcourse the people who always cheat are going to kick up a storm about it being harder to cheat this time around.
I first played Capitalism 2 via a pirated copy. It's because of that I found out about and bought Capitalism Lab. The DRM has meant I've been able to download and play it when I'm not at home, which I really like.

The "backlash" that is copped in many ways is just free advertising. Unless there is a serious problem with the DRM causing people to not be able to play the game that they've bought - which is not the case - I only see the DRM as a positive thing.
crammo

Post by crammo »

My idea is: do it like Mojang did! (Minecraft)
moneytheory
Level 4 user

Post by moneytheory »

Hyronymus wrote:
mwyeoh wrote:Well its a pity you feel that way.
It is your decision if you no longer want to play CapLab
I agree, his reply sounds like a poor attempt of blackmailing Enlight to change their policy.
I take offense to your remarks. I am not blackmailing Enlight i am just saying how it is. You and others might be fanbois for playing online but i am not and i shouldn't be forced to play online and offline every hour.

I will be watching with interest to see how this pans out when the final version of the game is released.
moneytheory
Level 4 user

Post by moneytheory »

crammo wrote:My idea is: do it like Mojang did! (Minecraft)
What did they do?
crammo

Post by crammo »

moneytheory wrote:
What did they do?
No DRM ;)

Only login check in launcher, if you're logged in you can play on servers and have custom player skin.

And Mojang earned about $30mln

Quote from Notch (creator of Minecraft): "Just pirate it. If you still like it when you can afford it in the future, buy it then. Also don’t forget to feel bad. ;)"

EDIT: The main reason the game is so popular is that they made first version avaiable for free. Then they made it easy to pirate. I was using pirate version then I liked the game and bought full version (like everyone!).
azuzelych
Level 2 user

Post by azuzelych »

crammo wrote:
moneytheory wrote:
What did they do?
No DRM ;)

Only login check in launcher, if you're logged in you can play on servers and have custom player skin.

And Mojang earned about $30mln

Quote from Notch (creator of Minecraft): "Just pirate it. If you still like it when you can afford it in the future, buy it then. Also don’t forget to feel bad. ;)"

EDIT: The main reason the game is so popular is that they made first version avaiable for free. Then they made it easy to pirate. I was using pirate version then I liked the game and bought full version (like everyone!).

However heretic to the DRM believers here, that is a solution for a game that was nowhere as close to a big hit in the beginning. Now it is.

Guys, please try it, and please keep in mind there ARE places in the world where there is NO Internet readily available every single hour.

Perhaps the devs won't kill a hen that nests golden eggs with a super-mega-full-size orbital ion cannon blaster which is DRM. Maybe a fence would be enough to keep the piracy at bay? :)
crammo

Post by crammo »

@up: Right today, Minecraft hit 8mln sales!
moneytheory
Level 4 user

Post by moneytheory »

Yes there are a few DRM believers here who don't seem to mind the inconvenience this will cause. And yet these very same people will be the ones screaming when the Enlight servers are down or there ISP is down and cant access the game.

David i know you have been ignoring my reply's in this thread however i hope that Enlight will review the DRM on this game. And look at how successful Minecraft is. There are better alternatives than the DRM you have now. I also believe that Enlight are paranoid about piracy and yet i don't think it will be a big issue as you make out Cap Lab isn't a game that will appeal to pirates. If you provide good customer service and regular updates you wont have a big problem and look at Matrix Games and the loyalty they have.
azuzelych
Level 2 user

Post by azuzelych »

moneytheory wrote:Yes there are a few DRM believers here who don't seem to mind the inconvenience this will cause. And yet these very same people will be the ones screaming when the Enlight servers are down or there ISP is down and cant access the game.

David i know you have been ignoring my reply's in this thread however i hope that Enlight will review the DRM on this game. And look at how successful Minecraft is. There are better alternatives than the DRM you have now. I also believe that Enlight are paranoid about piracy and yet i don't think it will be a big issue as you make out Cap Lab isn't a game that will appeal to pirates. If you provide good customer service and regular updates you wont have a big problem and look at Matrix Games and the loyalty they have.
I actually was going to pre-order the game yesterday, then the idea of the constant online check has crossed my mind.

I have a stationary AND a laptop which I use both. How do I use the software then? I heard I can only activate the game once. The stationary is shaped for the best performance and convenience. However, my work often makes me travel to locations (=laptop) with no cell phone connection (=no Internet). I want to have the game licensed (my respect to the devs), but the idea of buying the game twice for both of my devices is, umm, weird, as I am the only person to use it anyway :) If buying the game twice for offline play is the only solution not to be "a big ugly stinky pirate", that is plain paranoia, with all due respect.
Devs...? Anyone...?