DRM ?

General discussions about the release versions of Capitalism Lab
moneytheory
Level 4 user

Re: DRM ?

Post by moneytheory »

azuzelych wrote:
moneytheory wrote:Yes there are a few DRM believers here who don't seem to mind the inconvenience this will cause. And yet these very same people will be the ones screaming when the Enlight servers are down or there ISP is down and cant access the game.

David i know you have been ignoring my reply's in this thread however i hope that Enlight will review the DRM on this game. And look at how successful Minecraft is. There are better alternatives than the DRM you have now. I also believe that Enlight are paranoid about piracy and yet i don't think it will be a big issue as you make out Cap Lab isn't a game that will appeal to pirates. If you provide good customer service and regular updates you wont have a big problem and look at Matrix Games and the loyalty they have.
I actually was going to pre-order the game yesterday, then the idea of the constant online check has crossed my mind.

I have a stationary AND a laptop which I use both. How do I use the software then? I heard I can only activate the game once. The stationary is shaped for the best performance and convenience. However, my work often makes me travel to locations (=laptop) with no cell phone connection (=no Internet). I want to have the game licensed (my respect to the devs), but the idea of buying the game twice for both of my devices is, umm, weird, as I am the only person to use it anyway :) If buying the game twice for offline play is the only solution not to be "a big ugly stinky pirate", that is plain paranoia, with all due respect.
Devs...? Anyone...?
IM afraid you wont get a answer from the devs or from David who just completely ignores us. Enlight have made a decision to have this DRM and they don't care if you don't like it or if you don't even buy it.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

azuzelych wrote: I have a stationary AND a laptop which I use both. How do I use the software then? I heard I can only activate the game once. The stationary is shaped for the best performance and convenience. However, my work often makes me travel to locations (=laptop) with no cell phone connection (=no Internet). I want to have the game licensed (my respect to the devs), but the idea of buying the game twice for both of my devices is, umm, weird, as I am the only person to use it anyway :) If buying the game twice for offline play is the only solution not to be "a big ugly stinky pirate", that is plain paranoia, with all due respect.
Devs...? Anyone...?
I've bought it once and played it on multiple machines. I'm not sure what makes you think you'd need to buy it multiple times?

There seems to be 2 people upset about the DRM, but I can't exactly figure out why. As far as DRM goes, this is one of the most benign forms I've seen. No rootkits, etc. Being online is a standard to a vast majority of users. Two users it seems have problems with it, whose purchases are roughly equal to the cost of one months internet here.

It seems people expect a lot for their money these days.
azuzelych
Level 2 user

Post by azuzelych »

Vorpal wrote:
azuzelych wrote: I have a stationary AND a laptop which I use both. How do I use the software then? I heard I can only activate the game once. The stationary is shaped for the best performance and convenience. However, my work often makes me travel to locations (=laptop) with no cell phone connection (=no Internet). I want to have the game licensed (my respect to the devs), but the idea of buying the game twice for both of my devices is, umm, weird, as I am the only person to use it anyway :) If buying the game twice for offline play is the only solution not to be "a big ugly stinky pirate", that is plain paranoia, with all due respect.
Devs...? Anyone...?
I've bought it once and played it on multiple machines. I'm not sure what makes you think you'd need to buy it multiple times?

There seems to be 2 people upset about the DRM, but I can't exactly figure out why. As far as DRM goes, this is one of the most benign forms I've seen. No rootkits, etc. Being online is a standard to a vast majority of users. Two users it seems have problems with it, whose purchases are roughly equal to the cost of one months internet here.

It seems people expect a lot for their money these days.

Umm, Vorpal, with all due respect, You might have missed the part where I personally don't find the idea of DRM very exciting - i.e. possible lack of Internet connection. For instance, I don't run GTAIV on my laptop for 2 reasons - 1) it's shaped for office work, ergo won't produce the expected result; 2) my work makes me travel often to locations where there is simply no Internet available in any form. So it's only installed on the stationary, where DRM does not hurt at all.
However, the CapLab will run on both machines and is single-player mostly anyway. Therefore, I am concerned that while being technically able to run the game on a mobile machine and having purchased it legally, I will not be able to do that because of the possible lack of connection.

To come up with an example. The Rockstar had actually set a barrier at the beginning where Internet was a total must - and I remember there were several times I couldn't run a game because the ISP was down, although I only wanted single-player. Now they have limited it - one can go through a single-player, but can't upload the achievements...or some other crap like that, I don't find the Internet "social life" interesting.

And the latest StarForce is still coping with the work, by the way.
moneytheory
Level 4 user

Post by moneytheory »

[/quote]I've bought it once and played it on multiple machines. I'm not sure what makes you think you'd need to buy it multiple times?

It seems people expect a lot for their money these days.[/quote]
Actually there are more than 2 people upset about this DRM if you look at the other threads also the game isn't released to the public yet so when it is you can expect more complaints.

However since Enlight are prepared to give a 48 hour refund i may give it a go when the full game comes out though i still don't like this DRM and i think it is unnecessary. A activation of the game or a log on would have been sufficient.

And why shouldn't we expect a lot for our hard earn cash. Most games that come out now are full of bugs that don't get fixed straight away or never get fixed at all and it is wasted money down the drain. I am not talking about Enlight here who appear to be supporting the game but other companies like EA for example who we all know has a bad track record in support of there games.
SepticSheepherder

Post by SepticSheepherder »

I registered just to make it known to whomever is in charge of the DRM on this game that I won't be purchasing it because of the online requirement. Which is too bad because the improvements and new features look like they would have added a new level of depth to the game that I have been looking for. I would be willing to pay upwards of $30 for this expansion with a CD check DRM or other form that allows offline-play. I have Steam on my system and you can go months without ever connecting to the internet. Why this tiny game, from a small, not so recognized company, would require an online connection is completely insane. I'm telling you right now you will not achieve the amount of sales you could if online-required DRM is included. Loyal fans of Capitalism 2, from around the world, would not be interested in this game if you need to be online. For one, not even the entire US has access to the internet. Many rural areas, including mine, do not. So, if you think that your customers, for example, in Brazil would be able to comply with your online requirement is ludacris. What happens if you can't afford to run the servers anymore? Do we lose access to a game we paid for? Are you, like EA, Ubisoft etc, telling us that we do not own this game, that it is basically a rental and that you decide when we can use it? Are you going to follow in the footsteps of the big companies who I give little of my business to these days or are you going to go down your own path?

Please take this into account when you decide on which form of DRM you will use. It is not just a small number of people who oppose this DRM. You have a special product here, don't let it go to waste.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

We understand that some people would never buy any games with any kind of DRM. Just as in a Cap game, no product can ever capture 100% of the market and we never intend to achieve it.

Each product has its own appeal, target customer segments and business model. So it is completely understandable that the fact that CapLab retains online checking will make some users skipping CapLab and looking for other business sim products without any kind of DRM and we totally respect their decisions.

There are other great business sim products by other developers out there which do not have any kind of DRM and we would recommend people who dislike DRM to look for a game in the market that suits you the most.
moneytheory
Level 4 user

Post by moneytheory »

David wrote:We understand that some people would never buy any games with any kind of DRM. Just as in a Cap game, no product can ever capture 100% of the market and we never intend to achieve it.

Each product has its own appeal, target customer segments and business model. So it is completely understandable that the fact that CapLab retains online checking will make some users skipping CapLab and looking for other business sim products without any kind of DRM and we totally respect their decisions.

There are other great business sim products by other developers out there which do not have any kind of DRM and we would recommend people who dislike DRM to look for a game in the market that suits you the most.
Care to name the other great business sims out there because i haven't come across any apart from Wall Street Raider.
willy123

Post by willy123 »

David wrote:We understand that some people would never buy any games with any kind of DRM. Just as in a Cap game, no product can ever capture 100% of the market and we never intend to achieve it.

In todays market where money is tight there are plenty of people sacraficing the internet because either they live near a university or any other public places where they can get quick access to an internet source for emegencies. And like the comfort of their own homes to play single player games. You devs are cutting out a big portion of fans when you implemented this terrible sorcery of "online single player modes".. seriously, online single player mode?
StijnDP

Post by StijnDP »

David any news when caplab will become avaible on Steam and pref without the stupid thing of having to log in every time I want to play a 100% single player game?
greewoch
Level 2 user

Post by greewoch »

/bad english in!

I wasnt going to write anything, but I will feel bad if I dont, because of course I cant count but I probably have several hundreds of played time on cap 2 since 2003 summer \o/

I will just go to subject first;
if you put this game on steam, in just 1 day, you will sell more then this game's whole lifetime. I mean really, THERE ARE NO SİMİLAR GAMES with this quality, not even close.
I dont understand how you guys; most probably who are smarter then %99 of us cant see this. Please reconsider this online drm politicy.

There are a lot of people who doesnt buy any other game if it's not present on steam, call it stupidty or whatever you want but this is how most of the people thinks. (there were some games which was on top 20 sells on steam's new year sale, even while they were cheaper on amazon or gamersgate but not steam code.

Also I know at least 10 people who doesnt buy anno 2070, but played it illegally just because of ubisoft's drm politicy, same thing with homam VI... Punishing your customers shouldnt be the way how to deal with pirates. (GoG ftw!)

I refused to buy any online drm games, till today; because I didnt play any other game in 2003 summer break, and I want to support your hard work. ( please forgive me if you felt like I offended you, but it's not my purpose; I just want to best for you guys.

thanks for reading, best regards! :)
/bad english out !