DRM ?

General discussions about the release versions of Capitalism Lab
jondonnis
Level 5 user

Re: DRM ?

Post by jondonnis »

David wrote:FYI, actually you could still play the game for one hour without Internet coverage by loading a save game. The game will quit one hour afterward if no Internet is present, but it will auto save before quitting and you could restart the game immediately and reload the game to continue.

http://www.capitalismlab.com/forum/view ... 5401#p5394
Better than nothing but I question the security of the current situation. Your login for the site isn't using https so logins are sent over in plain text, using Network Miner I could sniff my login details. If someone is sniffing the traffic or a persons connection, they'll have not only the login name and password of the main site for that user, but their login for the game as well. Also, how is this information stored? Are the passwords and names HASHED and SALTED? We all know someone is going to use the same login name here that they may use for Facebook etc. Once your database is breached, they potentially have access to that persons other accounts.

What is annoying about DRM is it's pretty useless. If a game is popular, it will be cracked. Once cracked the pirates and people pirating will have the benefit of offline mode. We, the paying customer, won't.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

Passwords are encrypted when they are sent over the Internet.
jondonnis
Level 5 user

Post by jondonnis »

On site or in the game? They aren't on the main site, hence Network Miner easily sniffs them.
David

Post by David »

Passwords stored in the server are also encrypted.
Blackclaws

Post by Blackclaws »

I found this game a few days ago and I was like woooooah finally an expansion to CAP II ( I really liked that game and still play it from time to time ) and I was very close to actually buying it but then I read this forum and I was immediately totally turned off by the DRM ...

See I read through the multiple threads about why this DRM etc. and then I read sentences like : "Since Halflife 2 people are used to being always online etc." which is just not true... Steam has a wonderful offline mode that works for all games really even if there are some you have to activate once even beyond steam.

The thing is I'm often on the road in a train or at my girlfriends place where there simply is no internet and frankly if I buy a game and then get restricted from playing single player because of some DRM that requires me to be always on ... no thanks ....

There are a lot of companies that already found out that money invested in DRM is wasted money and they don't have worse sales in my opinion or probably even better sales than those that do use DRM..

Also another thing that I find kind of lame is that the DRM is not advertised anywhere on the main page ... In Germany where I live its illegal to sell games without writing on the packaging that it requires an internet connection to play if it does ... So why do you keep this information from the people who don't read through the forum...

By the way this whole thing is kind of moot anyway ... just for the fun of it I asked google about Cap lab cracks ... and they already exist =/ so what's the whole point of keeping the DRM anyway if it has already been done away with anyhow?
czurcz
Level 2 user

Post by czurcz »

If I'm on the train, I sleep. If I am at girlfriend's place, I take care of her. ;)

For you (as well as for some other users posting here) it seems to be a big fuss. What's the difference if I need to be online or not playing the game? You see, I play just at home because this is the only place where I can focus on the game. When I read such posts like yours, I feel people treat CapLab like 'just another game'. No, it's not. Not for me. But if you try playing it and you don't like it, don't make a fuss about it, just stop playing it, because you're not the sort of person that admires simulation games. Because it IS brilliant simulation business game. You don't feel it - you don't play it. Easy. Also, few spent dollars is absolutely not a massive amount of money. Go and ask yourself how much money you spent foolishly on some rubbish in your life.

Additionally, I really feel anger all over me when I read guy's complaints before he even tries the stuff. How could you criticize VW vehicles when you have never driven one???
Greetz from Polska!
Blackclaws

Post by Blackclaws »

czurcz wrote:If I'm on the train, I sleep. If I am at girlfriend's place, I take care of her. ;)

For you (as well as for some other users posting here) it seems to be a big fuss. What's the difference if I need to be online or not playing the game? You see, I play just at home because this is the only place where I can focus on the game. When I read such posts like yours, I feel people treat CapLab like 'just another game'. No, it's not. Not for me. But if you try playing it and you don't like it, don't make a fuss about it, just stop playing it, because you're not the sort of person that admires simulation games. Because it IS brilliant simulation business game. You don't feel it - you don't play it. Easy. Also, few spent dollars is absolutely not a massive amount of money. Go and ask yourself how much money you spent foolishly on some rubbish in your life.

Additionally, I really feel anger all over me when I read guy's complaints before he even tries the stuff. How could you criticize VW vehicles when you have never driven one???
I don't think you understand what I am complaining about... I never said the game wouldn't be worth the money and I played a lot of simulation games including Capitalism II of which Cap lab is an expansion of but the basic gameplay should be the same and I really really liked it. So saying I am not complaining before trying it and I am not complaining about the game itself but about its DRM ... Well if you sleep during the day on the train fine with me and it is your decision if you accept the kind of copy protection this game has. I would have no problem with spending 20-30 Euro on this game that's not my point. Its not about the money at all it is more like a general problem I have with this kind of protection because the only ones that suffer are the people that legitimately buy the games. As I said the game has been cracked already and those people can probably play it without the game quitting every hour etc. So why should I if I pay money for the game have a disadvantage that people who don't pay for it don't have? It makes no sense. Its like saying hey if you buy this car then you have to stop every hour for a few minutes but if you steal it then no problem continue driving like you were ....
czurcz
Level 2 user

Post by czurcz »

OK, I see your point. As I said before - for me it's not a problem.

BTW - Deutsche Bahn has no net access in their trains?
Greetz from Polska!
David

Post by David »

Blackclaws wrote:By the way this whole thing is kind of moot anyway ... just for the fun of it I asked google about Cap lab cracks ... and they already exist =/ so what's the whole point of keeping the DRM anyway if it has already been done away with anyhow?
I did a Google Search and found a few links to so called Capitalism Lab cracks. Then I used one computer in our office which is ISOLATED from our network and is for virus testing only.

I downloaded the so called Capitalism Lab cracks on the ISOLATED computer, and so far my finding is that they are fake EXEs and are infected with virus. The one that escaped virus scanning actually planted a seemingly virus seed in one of the game subfolders and crashed before the game actually started. So even if virus scanning tells you that the files are not infected, you will still run the risk of infecting a virus on your computer.

So I would advise anybody thinking about using Capitalism Lab CRACKS not to do so, for the safety of your computer.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

David wrote:
Blackclaws wrote:By the way this whole thing is kind of moot anyway ... just for the fun of it I asked google about Cap lab cracks ... and they already exist =/ so what's the whole point of keeping the DRM anyway if it has already been done away with anyhow?
I did a Google Search and found a few links to so called Capitalism Lab cracks. Then I used one computer in our office which is ISOLATED from our network and is for virus testing only.

I downloaded the so called Capitalism Lab cracks on the ISOLATED computer, and so far my finding is that they are fake EXEs and are infected with virus. The one that escaped virus scanning actually planted a seemingly virus seed in one of the game subfolders and crashed before the game actually started. So even if virus scanning tells you that the files are not infected, you will still run the risk of infecting a virus on your computer.

So I would advise anybody thinking about using Capitalism Lab CRACKS not to do so, for the safety of your computer.
Did you seriously check those files or are you just saying that for the benefit of your userbase?

I think the problem you have is even larger as there is a cracked copy of the whole game already out on the internet and not just a cracked exe for those that already own it.

I think it speaks volumes that when someone starts talking about cracks you scream murder and directly proof that it contains viruses but when I come along and tell you that there already are copies of the FULL GAME of Cap Lab floating on the internet no one even answers.

You just don't want to admit that your precious DRM has been cracked and is thus totally useless for preventing piracy.