No - not sure yet waiting to hear more suggestions
29%

Total votes: 14

lowkeybavil
Level 3 user

Government ownership - adding new aspect of capitlaism v communism

Post by lowkeybavil »

This Topic was initially suggested by
Anathelus wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:45 pm Multiple ideas to expand the otherwise limited and linear government function.
Imagine instead of just "government" owning the media companies, the government creates a subsidiary as we would.
Now imagine subsequent organisations owned by the government keeping it propped up. As opposed to running bankrupt, issuing bonds, defaulting on the bonds, issuing more, upping taxes, causing people to leave, lowing tax revenue, defaulting on bonds again and finally declaring bankrupcy. Being mayor is a poisoned chalice for sure, impossible to hold without artificially propping up your government by buying the land with your companies which goes to the govt.
I am also much for the idea of govt holdings companies, or better yet govt ownership in player companies, however the govt plays aggressively/passively based off of a simple setting I'm sure can be implemented (government focus on expansion)
Additionally the legal powers of the government should be expanded, certain legal policies, and a central bank should be included, with more stringent laws on banking and insurance.
This would greatly expand the scope of the game, and govt ownership means more competant management but more bureacracy. Exactly what this kind of game is about!
posting.php?mode=quote&f=49&p=38044&sid ... b404211d13

I am here to expand on this and to further propel this idea into the discussion as the original poster has not seemed to be active I will take the lead.

I have added the initial post here for context and to expand the idea. The above link will let you view other responses.

Whether the route to this new gameplay is either through the current mayoral system we have or whether we create a new "Central" government that governs all the cities with some very base policies such as tax, or social investment being dictated by central and the mayors only having smaller control over the city.

Example -

Income Tax -

Is set at for example 15%-20% by central, and Mayors only get to choose between that scale

Investment in Housing, health, security etc could possibly be done centrally or devolved to mayors but with limits as above explained

What is capitalism without government bureaucracy to battle against.

In the same sense we can have the corporations lobby the governments

Governments can own either directly or through subsidiary companies, different industries such as housing, commercial, banking, digital etc.

The government could also start to take control of the central bank setting new rates.

These new roles can be opened through a Presidential role, same as mayors who get elected president can be also elected.

But also winning the presidency will be a fun factor, maybe needing to get popular votes across majority of cities before being president, as a obstacle to make it more difficult?

Some powers of the "presidency" may be the national immigration cap, instead if city based limit, it is capped or uncapped at the national level and cities could instead compete for population increases.

May be presidential power to change interest rates (within scope, as in capped at a -/+3% change to avoid destroying economies.

Presidential housing, education, health programs, that fund these things, in a sort of anti-private movement.

For profit prisons opened as part of presidential features? another commodity for companies to trade

These are starters, and Contributions to different ideas or extra ideas are welcome.
lowkeybavil
Level 3 user

Re: Government ownership - adding new aspect of capitlaism v communism

Post by lowkeybavil »

Please share your ideas
lowkeybavil
Level 3 user

Post by lowkeybavil »

please submt ideas and vote
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

I am pleased to inform you that the dev team has started working on the following new features:

1) The government can invest in stocks
2) The government can establish a new company and hire an executive to run it.
Anathelus

Post by Anathelus »

David wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:06 pm I am pleased to inform you that the dev team has started working on the following new features:

1) The government can invest in stocks
2) The government can establish a new company and hire an executive to run it.
Hi David,

Can you give us an expected time when this should be available?

Additionally here are my suggestions for the govt ownership proposal, I have already discussed with lowkeybavil
These are my latest so far:

What we should think about is the kind of services a govt would offer.
For a start, if you start a new city, you should be able to place the stock exchange building, its way too cool to not have. The other buildings (investment bank, bank etc) are good to have too.
Speaking of bank, there should be a central bank. The govt controls the interest rate and also the issuance of currency. The problem with the current game is if the city goes bankrupt, theres just a change of government and a "emergency loan". We should try to simulate the abject chaos seen in events like 2008 Global crash. Therefore central bank buys the bonds of the city that can't pay back the issuance (as is the case) or if its a tax issue, the central bank bails out that city by printing a load of money to offset the deficit on their balance sheet caused by taxes.

I also think the govt should be able to own stock and bonds, but through a company only, which goes to the next and most important point:
Corporate structure - The government should be given a set number of companies it can own. Perhaps in the future products like utilities [electricity, gas, water] can be govt supplied. Otherwise it should have a mayor from each city run the companies. It would distribute the companies obviously based on the city it is in, to the mayor of that city- it ensures fair distribution and obviously the treasury of that city will be the available capital for the companies it owns. As for ownership, I propose that government companies cannot be listed on the stock exchange. Additionally the player should be able to define how much of a company at most a government company will purchase. It wouldnt be fair if it went around buying all the companies, although I don't see why we shouldn't include it, would be challenging to go vs the govt.

Additional Government business types:
Local (City) Bank (it annoys me the original govt bank isnt included when you play the financial DLC but clearly for balancing issues)
Sovereign Wealth Fund (Like an insurance company but with much greater funding available) [Can't go public]
Airport - Lets make use of it, in every city is a useless object that could be used. I propose:
Flight to the other cities. The govt owns the airport, (but the players can set up airlines. Maybe in a future DLC.) If you want, we can make this an additional idea, but for now I think at the basic level flights to other cities and owned by the govt. Flights can be set by players if they have a mayor elected in the city the airport is in that you want to change the price of tickets to.