Bugs probably

City Economic Simulation DLC for Capitalism Lab
dramantine

Bugs probably

Post by dramantine »

All these are related to the CES DLC, the first two are straightforward bugs:

1- when you focus product on the university and the university is disabled("Full or Partial Operation" bar on 0) you still get the benefits of the focus without spending money!
2- As mayor the auto manage apartments/commercial building rent on the menu doesn't work properly. Even though the attractiveness bar changes, the overall rating doesn't. Sometimes you can hit a hidden button(not hidden on private ones) on the apartment/commercial building that changes from flat to percentage and it fixes. (maybe issue is that it starts as flat by default)

the next is probably not a bug but...

3- Jobs management. Lack of jobs seems to be an issue, but I found out that as mayor of the city you can build many commercial buildings and create all the jobs you need as long as the city has space for them, and it doesn't matter if they profitable or not because you can earn more(as mayor) by having a high tax rate on the newcomers!

i'm not sure that's how it's meant to be played, but i was able to finish the campaign with this(3). But also it doesn't feel great to have many empty commercial buildings around.
Btw any kind of changes on this(3) should be done with caution because of the impact on population growth, it can completely break the game!
dramantine

Re: Bugs probably

Post by dramantine »

also i forgot to mention, this one could actually be a feature to not ruin peoples cities. Specifically when under the AI control.

4- population never decreases. Whenever the city is in a bad spot you can see the emigration go up, but immigration quantity always follows and the population doesn't change, that happens even if you disable all civic/sports facilities and block immigrants.
Stylesjl
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Post by Stylesjl »

dramantine wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:48 am 1- when you focus product on the university and the university is disabled("Full or Partial Operation" bar on 0) you still get the benefits of the focus without spending money!
Do you mean this where the university is normally unfunded but the 'Extra Spending' still boosts the rating?
ZeroSpending.png
ZeroSpending.png (41.25 KiB) Viewed 132 times
Not sure if that is a bug as you still need to spend money anyway, though it is a bit counterintuitive. I guess you could say that only the university's special department is running and the normal education part is not.
dramantine wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:48 am 2- As mayor the auto manage apartments/commercial building rent on the menu doesn't work properly. Even though the attractiveness bar changes, the overall rating doesn't. Sometimes you can hit a hidden button(not hidden on private ones) on the apartment/commercial building that changes from flat to percentage and it fixes. (maybe issue is that it starts as flat by default)
I think you are right. I just tried it here and when I set the rent to 0% or 100% the overall rating did not change. Yet it does when it is a corporate Apartment/Commercial Building.
Rent.zip
(1.65 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
dramantine wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:48 am 3- Jobs management. Lack of jobs seems to be an issue, but I found out that as mayor of the city you can build many commercial buildings and create all the jobs you need as long as the city has space for them, and it doesn't matter if they profitable or not because you can earn more(as mayor) by having a high tax rate on the newcomers!
I don't think that works as well as you might think. Building lots of Commercial Buildings without underlying demand would bankrupt the city as they all cost money to maintain, even with a very high tax rate. Perhaps you could do this if you set the capacity modifier of a Commercial Building to 10% you get a result somewhat close to this but not in normal game settings. If you have seen this happen you can try providing a save game so I we have a look.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

dramantine wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:48 am All these are related to the CES DLC, the first two are straightforward bugs:

1- when you focus product on the university and the university is disabled("Full or Partial Operation" bar on 0) you still get the benefits of the focus without spending money!
2- As mayor the auto manage apartments/commercial building rent on the menu doesn't work properly. Even though the attractiveness bar changes, the overall rating doesn't. Sometimes you can hit a hidden button(not hidden on private ones) on the apartment/commercial building that changes from flat to percentage and it fixes. (maybe issue is that it starts as flat by default)

The bugs are fixed in the new version 10.0.06.

3- Jobs management. Lack of jobs seems to be an issue, but I found out that as mayor of the city you can build many commercial buildings and create all the jobs you need as long as the city has space for them, and it doesn't matter if they profitable or not because you can earn more(as mayor) by having a high tax rate on the newcomers!

i'm not sure that's how it's meant to be played, but i was able to finish the campaign with this(3). But also it doesn't feel great to have many empty commercial buildings around.
Btw any kind of changes on this(3) should be done with caution because of the impact on population growth, it can completely break the game!
[/quote]

The algorithm for this has been improved in version 10.0. as it takes into account the occupancy rates of commercial buildings. Commercial buildings with low occupancy rates will have small impacts the city's employment.

Were you using version 9.1?
Stylesjl
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Post by Stylesjl »

David wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:50 am
dramantine wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:48 am All these are related to the CES DLC, the first two are straightforward bugs:

I can't see any change in the Overall Rating in version 10.0.06 - it does not appear to be fixed.

The university bug is fixed - now you need to fund it at least a little bit.
dramantine

Post by dramantine »

i know it was fixed but to clarify
Stylesjl wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:28 am
Not sure if that is a bug as you still need to spend money anyway, though it is a bit counterintuitive. I guess you could say that only the university's special department is running and the normal education part is not.
no even if the bar shows that u are spending 3mil u are not actually, it could be easily tested by founding a new city(paying the 100k) and by only having one disabled university your expenses will be 0, and by just activating it if u have focus on 3mil the city will start spending millions.
Stylesjl wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:28 am
I don't think that works as well as you might think. Building lots of Commercial Buildings without underlying demand would bankrupt the city as they all cost money to maintain, even with a very high tax rate. Perhaps you could do this if you set the capacity modifier of a Commercial Building to 10% you get a result somewhat close to this but not in normal game settings. If you have seen this happen you can try providing a save game so I we have a look.
this is probably due to the version change. i was using the 9.1.71, but in case u were trying in the old version all you have to do is make comercial buildings at the same pace as you get more population, there's a limitation on the immigration so there's so much u can get each year.
David wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:50 am

The algorithm for this has been improved in version 10.0. as it takes into account the occupancy rates of commercial buildings. Commercial buildings with low occupancy rates will have small impacts the city's employment.

Were you using version 9.1?
yes i completely missed the beta patch and was using 9.1.71.
I tested the beta 10.0.0.6B version, the money management is much easier for the mayor, and the commercial buildings/university seems to work as intended,the rent seems to not be fixed though, there seems to be new bugs around too.

"But my main concern here is that this probably made first mission of the CES campaign impossible.

I wonder if when u guys based the population growth considering the others DLCs enabled, i figured out that with the digital age DLC, the new tech buildings gives jobs that aren't available in the campaign, making it easier to get higher populations, while when only CES DLC is active reaching 1 million population seems very hard without the commercial building bug. I don't have the other DLCs, but i guess they also have more types of buildings giving jobs, making it very different from the CES only experience."

Edit: the campaign objective was changed lol ignore that
Stylesjl
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Post by Stylesjl »

no even if the bar shows that u are spending 3mil u are not actually, it could be easily tested by founding a new city(paying the 100k) and by only having one disabled university your expenses will be 0, and by just activating it if u have focus on 3mil the city will start spending millions.
You are right - you can set a university to have 3 million in extra payments and it won't do anything or spend any actual money.

There should probably be an indicator of that on the screen or maybe the extra funding should also be forced to be 0 if the main funding is also 0.
I tested the beta 10.0.0.6B version, the money management is much easier for the mayor, and the commercial buildings/university seems to work as intended,the rent seems to not be fixed though, there seems to be new bugs around too. But my main concern here is that this probably made first mission of the CES campaign impossible.
I wonder if when u guys based the population growth considering the others DLCs enabled, i figured out that with the digital age DLC, the new tech buildings gives jobs that aren't available in the campaign, making it easier to get higher populations, while when only CES DLC is active reaching 1 million population seems very hard without the commercial building bug. I don't have the other DLCs, but i guess they also have more types of buildings giving jobs, making it very different from the CES only experience.
I am not sure myself - I can't actually finish any of the CES missions. I only ever finished the first one and that was because I set the Apartment/Commercial capacity to 10% and that created a huge amount of jobs and money to grow the city with. That was a bug however which is now fixed so I can't do that scenario the normal way.

Maybe that is the reason - all the expansions/patches changing the rules.
dramantine

Post by dramantine »

Stylesjl wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:14 pm
I am not sure myself - I can't actually finish any of the CES missions. I only ever finished the first one and that was because I set the Apartment/Commercial capacity to 10% and that created a huge amount of jobs and money to grow the city with. That was a bug however which is now fixed so I can't do that scenario the normal way.

Maybe that is the reason - all the expansions/patches changing the rules.
ignore that part, i just saw they changed the objective in a way that the top population required was 700k instead of 1mil which seems manageable.
i was able to beat the campaign in the 9.1.71 version using the commercial building bug, while avoiding the university bug it was very hard though, the university bug is super broken and it makes everything easier especially the last mission where you need huge amount of GDP.

this DLC is different than the main game and subsidiary in a way that you only need to work as the mayor to reach the objectives, while your company is only necessary to buy your way in

the third mission require to have 90 points on housing, you can't get it with government apartments without figuring out how to deal with the rent bug, so either you need to find the hidden button or buy the apartments with the private company.

that's from version 9... on version 10 it seems you have more money as mayor so its probably easier now, they just need to fix the rent bug.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

Stylesjl wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:14 pm I am not sure myself - I can't actually finish any of the CES missions. I only ever finished the first one and that was because I set the Apartment/Commercial capacity to 10% and that created a huge amount of jobs and money to grow the city with. That was a bug however which is now fixed so I can't do that scenario the normal way.
Do you have any suggestions about how the goal values of the CES scenarios should be adjusted so that they will be more achievable?
Stylesjl
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Post by Stylesjl »

David wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:59 am
Stylesjl wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:14 pm I am not sure myself - I can't actually finish any of the CES missions. I only ever finished the first one and that was because I set the Apartment/Commercial capacity to 10% and that created a huge amount of jobs and money to grow the city with. That was a bug however which is now fixed so I can't do that scenario the normal way.
Do you have any suggestions about how the goal values of the CES scenarios should be adjusted so that they will be more achievable?
I don't know for sure to be honest, the difficulty curve in general should probably be easier for the earlier missions and harder for later missions. Perhaps some changes could be:

- By default the earlier missions should have city settings that make it easier for the city to grow - for instance lower public expenses, higher start cash and no outside political donations. Maybe even lowering the Apartment/Commercial Modifier as this makes city growth MUCH easier.

Here is how it looks in the first level:
StartSettings.png
StartSettings.png (36.72 KiB) Viewed 53 times
But as you can see in the last (5th) scenario it is exactly the same:
EndSettings.png
EndSettings.png (37.98 KiB) Viewed 53 times
All the other levels are the same.

Even things like the competitor count and aggression levels are the same in each scenario:
Companies.png
Companies.png (37.07 KiB) Viewed 53 times
So maybe tweaking or playing around with these to make it easier for newer players to the expansion.